Scrubbing is a good way to remove the dead skin cells of the lips. After scrubbing, the lips get a fresher, evener, and tender look. To scrub lips, honey is a nice choice. It has many skin benefits having some natural properties, like minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and antibacterial.
All these elements help to get healthy and supple lips. Besides, honey has natural humectants that hydrate the skin. The regular use of honey also enlightens the lip skin.
Anyway, today I will show you how to make a homemade lip scrub with honey, sugar, coconut oils, shea butter and other natural ingredients.
What else you need:
- Pure Honey
- Natural Oils
- Caster/Brown Sugar
- Shea Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Vanilla Extract
- Essential Oils
- Lip Scrub Container
These steps below will help you make your own lip scrubs with honey and other ingredients at home easily
It is not hard to make a scrub for your lips with these ingredients. Honey lip scrub is my favorite exfoliant. You may buy scrub from a shop but better if you prepare it at your home. The commercial scrubs may contain chemical or harsh elements.
Step 1: Microwave one tablespoon of honey to melt it. Thus, it mixes with sugar and glides in the skin easily. But, this process never stops the moisturizing effectivity of honey.
Step 2: Mix your favorite natural oil with the liquid honey in a right amount. The oil mainly moisturizes, conditions and makes the lips smooth while the sugar fades away the dry skin of your lips. You can also mix olive oil, almond oil, sunflower oil or jojoba oil. I love olive oil to my scrub (for its nice scent).
Step 3: Mix two teaspoons of brown sugar with honey and oil. Stir this mixer well. The sugar is an exfoliant that removes dull skin cells. You can use caster or superfine sugar in case of your lips are sore or very sensitive because the caster sugar is more gentle and finer.
After dissolving the sugar in honey and oil, you can add some extra sugar. Larger sugar grains, white or brown granulated sugar may make your lips sore, cracked or painful. So, don’t use them.
AND YOUR HONEY LIP SCRUB IS READY. NOW APPLY IT ON YOUR LIPS.
Honey for dry lips: If your lips get chapped in winter, you can leave some pure honey on the lips overnight. The lip skin gets sucked the honey throughout the night so that the lips get hydrated, fuller and moisturized that you cannot do a general lip balm or cream. I personally do it to treat my dry lips in winter.
Follow these steps to exfoliate your lips now with this scrub
[ Read Also: 12 best homemade lip scrub you may try one from ]
Step 1: Rub your lips with your fingers with some scrub. Don’t rub the lips more than 15 seconds. This time enough to exfoliate your lips. More time can break down the lip’s skin.
Then let the scrub sit on your lips for 3 minutes. Thus, the lips get absorbed by honey and oil.
Step 2: After 3 minutes, rinse your lips off with warm water. See your lips in the mirror, they are now fresher, newer and smoother. Of course, you can dab a natural lip balm on your lips after cleaning them. It keeps the lips hydrated for a longer time.
I love Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Beeswax Lip Balm. Did you ever use it? Let me know below in the comment?
Oils can be also used to make a lip scrub
The ratio of oils can be changed based on the lip condition or your taste. See below what things you have to consider in choosing oils.
- You can add extra natural oils if your lips are drier.
- If you want to make your lips more moisturized, you can add some thick oils, like Shea butter. These ingredients have quality fats that make the skin smooth and hydrated. If these oils make your lips sticky, you can replace them with jojoba or other lighter oils.
- You should not use any citrus oil or extract (lemon, grapefruit, and orange) because the touch of citrus can cause irritation to your lips.
- If you want to add a non-natural oil, you can choose Synthetic Flavor Oils because these oils are safe for the sensitive skin.
- Cornmint, tea tree, peppermint or spearmint oils are good but the excessive use of them can cause your lips drier. And don’t apply these oils on the younger skin.
- You can add essential oils to your honey lip scrub. Essential oils are excellent ways to add a nice flavor and texture to the lips. Choose lavender, green mandarin or sweet orange essential oils. But, essential oil may dry out your lips. It is better to discuss your dermatologist before using essential oils on your lips.
Maybe added flavor and color
If you like a delicious flavor in your honey scrub, you can add a little bit vanilla essence to it. But, be sure it must be chemical free.
What else you can do in making your lip scrub with honey
- Store the rest honey scrub in your fridge. It will be fresh up to 2 weeks. Before using again, just warm the scrub containing pot to melt the honey or oil. Honey is naturally a quality preservative. So, the scrub will stay fresher. Store the scrub in a dark non-transparent pot. This type of pot keeps the scrub safer.
- You can pour extra honey to the scrub if your lips are sore.
- Apply the lip balm before exfoliating if your lips are more chapped.
- Don’t use Vaseline or petroleum jelly. It cannot be absorbed in the skin. Coat your lips with a natural balm because it can stop evaporation from the lip skin.
If you don’t have the above items, buy them below.
- Kirkland Signature Pure Honey
- Dream Body Olive Oil
- Domino Dark Brown Sugar
- Molivera Organics Raw Organic Grade A Shea Butter
- COCO&CO 100% RAW Coconut Oil
- McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- Via Nature 100% Pure Geranium Essential Oil
- Houseables Lip Scrub Jar
See also a video on how to make DIY honey lip scrub:
Video credit- EmilyKate
That’s all about how to make your own lip scrub with honey and other home remedies. I never use commercial lip Exfoliants. Give some extra time to take care of your skin with natural or home remedies.
You can also leave some natural honey on your lips throughout the night. The lips suck the honey during the night and stay hydrated this way for a full day. Honey also turns the lips, fuller, suppler and healthier that put your lips on a kissable state.