Time and again Trichologists, beauty specialists and even your mother might have emphasized the importance to maintain good hair care routine. Proper care, healthy diet, and a good lifestyle will assure that your hair is free from many problems that chase it.
Dandruff, dry hair, hair fall, split ends, breakage, etc., are the most common hair problems.
However, these can be tackled to an extent with consistent hair care. And that is what we will talk here- DIY Spa Treatment at Home for Smooth Hair.
What Is Hair Spa Treatment?
Hair Spa treatment is nothing but pampering your hair with concentrated care and pumping it with the supplements it needs from the outside. There are hair spa treatments that are problem focussed- specifically for hair fall, dry hair spa treatment, colored hair spa treatment, etc.
The procedure will include a scalp massage, steaming, hair mask, shampooing and drying hair. These are growing quite common these days with many beauty parlors that we find popping out in almost all corners.
However, if you are eyeing at saving some cash and sparing the chemicals, then you can resort to DIY hair spa treatments. If you can find someone who can do it for you- heaven on earth!
Benefits of Hair Spa Treatment
- Relaxes the mind during the massage and thus releases stress.
- Promotes hair growth by stimulating hair follicles.
- Nourishes hair from the roots.
- Strengthens hair follicles and hair cuticles.
- Seals hair cuticles to give smooth and silky hair.
- Reduces hair fall considerably over a period of time.
How Often Can You Do Hair Spa at Home?
You can follow a simple hair spa routine for your hair type once every 2 weeks. It is wise to choose spa routine to suit your hair concern since the hair mask will concentrate to address the hair problem.
For example, if your hair problem is oily scalp and dandruff, your hair and scalp require proper attention. You might want to consult with a trusted trichologist or dermatologist before you decide to go for a hair spa treatment.
This is because oil massage might aggravate dandruff and flaky scalp problem if not attended to without expertise.
Before you get started with step 1, remember to start with a day old washed hair. This is to ensure a clean scalp. Detangle hair gently and start with step 1- oil massage.
The choice of oils you can use:
- Coconut oil and olive oil
- Coconut oil and rosemary oil (buy it from Amazon)
- Sesame oil and olive oil
- Coconut oil and vitamin E oil (buy it from Amazon)
- Olive oil and neem oil
How to Make This Hair Pack:
- You can take equal parts of both the oils in sufficient amounts to suit your hair length and density.
- Warm the oil slightly over low flame; dip a cotton wool ball in the oil and press the cotton wool ball on all areas of the scalp.
- Carefully cover every part of the scalp and rub the excess oil along the length of your hair.
- Massage gently and firmly every portion of the scalp. Concentrate on temples; above the ears and the area above the neck (these areas will relieve stress).
- Use finger tips and base of the palm to apply pressure.
- Massage can last from 15 to 20 minutes.
- The oil will nourish and moisten hair and scalp. It will strengthen the follicles and balance the pH of the scalp.
- Soak a heavy cotton towel in hot water. Wring out the excess water and wrap the towel around the head (covering the hair as well).
- Let the warm towel wrap stay intact until it turns cold (might take 10 to 15 minutes).
- The steam from the warm water will boost oil to penetrate deep into the scalp. The warmth will help scalp to thoroughly absorb the nutrients that are brought to it.
- Next, you can wash your hair using a gentle shampoo.
- Use only cold or mildly lukewarm water.
- Shampoo only once; the aim is to remove excess oil alone.
- Condition hair using your regular conditioner.
- Do not condition the scalp, concentrate on just the hair.
- The conditioner will seal the hair cuticles and make hair soft, smooth and silky.
The last step is Hair Mask. This is the most important part of hair spa.
You can choose any hair mask to deal with your specific hair problem. Here we will look at hair masks to get smooth hair.
You can choose either one of these DIY hair masks to get smooth hair. Apply the hair mask on the scalp and hair and let it rest for 20 minutes. You can adjust the proportions to suit your hair length and density accordingly. You may also skip any ingredient that you are allergic to or replace an ingredient with something else that you think will add more potency to the hair mask.
Honey Hair Mask: Mix together 2 tablespoons of honey (buy it from Amazon), 2 whole eggs, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 ripe mashed banana. Applying egg packs for hair will help to smooth hair and make it silky since it is rich in protein.
ACV Hair Mask: Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar (buy it from Amazon) and water, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the mixture. This will help to control frizz and smooth hair instantly.
Coconut Hair Mask: Blend together coconut meat and curd. You can also use readily available coconut cream if you have access to it. This hair mask is rich in cholesterol and will help to strengthen hair cuticles and smoothes dry and frizzy hair.
Milk Hair Mask: Take ½ cup of raw milk and add 3 tablespoons of honey to it. This simple honey and milk mask are the best to get healthy silk hair.
Egg Hair Mask: Blend together 4 to 5 strawberries, 1 egg yolk and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. This paste can be used as a hair mask to get silky and shiny hair glowing with luster.
Tea Tree Oil Hair Mask: Take the pulp of one avocado and add few drops of tea tree oil to it. Add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil to the mixture. The wonderful benefits of tea tree oil for hair will help to get silky and smooth hair in few uses.
Each of the above-mentioned natural products is rich in all nutrients, vitamins, and proteins that are essential for good hair health. They will seal the moisture within hair cuticles and seal it; thereby making it smooth and shiny.
After the hair mask has dried for 20 minutes, you can wash off with cold water. Use a mild shampoo and follow it with a conditioner. You can also use a natural leave in hair conditioner (tea tree oil spray) or any other leave in hair conditioner. This will lock-in the moisture in the hair and will also make hair get an instant shine. Do not use a hairdryer after hair spa at home. Allow hair to towel dry and air dry.
Hope, this simple and effective DIY hair spa treatment to get smooth hair will be helpful for you. Make sure to follow each of the steps meticulously and also take the privilege of testing out the different hair masks to know which works the best for you.
Written by Sancta, a post graduate in English Literature, true to education, loves to be wrapped into a world of poetry and the scent of old books. After some short experiments in different fields of business, she is currently following her passion as a beauty blogger at Lifestylica.