Lips are the most central parts of your face. When your lips bloom with a sweet smile while talking to others, they become more impressed and receptive.
But, it is very difficult to maintain healthy and vibrant lips in winter. You are about to battle always to keep your lips smooth and alive. The dry wind of the winter harms the lips more than any other elements and times.
[ Read Also: Most popular best lip care products ]
Lips have not usually oil glands that naturally keep the skin moisturized. On the other hand, they are almost open to all elements whether it is summer or winter. So, the lips are more sensitive.
Many think that the only winter dries up the lips. But, anything can dry up your lips anytime if you do not take care of your lips properly. Dry lips can be seen with cracked, chapped, peeling, scaly, sore or flaky skin cells. These signs can be treated. But, the chronically chapped lips might be more serious that may need a doctor.
All these symptoms of dry lips actually hide the real smoothness, and prettiness of your lips. To reveal the lips to the beautiful and healthy condition, you must take a particular care of your dry, chapped lips.
How to Take Care of Dry Lips in Cold Months
Most of the people mess up to take care of their dry lips in winter. They are really confused what can be used for having malleable lips. Moisturizing, using lip balm, avoiding the harmful elements, using sunscreen, eating right diets, and dehydrating body can easily treat your dry lips, even in severe cold days.
Anyway, let’s a look at how to take care of dry lips.
#Avoid Dry Lips Causing Elements
The reasons that actually dry out your lips, protect them. And you will get smooth, moisturized lips.
- Wear A Scarf: The warm or cold wind is the main killer for lips. By wearing a scarf around your face, prevent the wind directly to your face.
- Apply Sunscreen: The UVA/UBA rays cause chapped lips. Apply sunscreen on your lips when you go outside. It protects the lips from the sunburn. Use at least SPF 15 sunscreen.
- Use Fluoride-free Toothpaste: If your toothpaste contains fluoride, it may cause an allergic reaction on your lips and around the mouth. Even the fluoride toothpaste can cause irritation, and it finally causes chapped lips. Change your toothpaste to another one if you confirm that your toothpaste is irritating your lips.
- Allergic, Exciting or Harmful Elements: Your lips may be an allergic reaction to certain things, like the toothpaste, product ingredients, cosmetics or other lip contacted stuff. If you sure that a certain material is causing your lips cracked, please avoid this. The toothpaste having sodium lauryl sulfate that makes the foam can also cause sores, irritations or ulcers to the mouth and dry lips. If the products contain eucalyptus, camphor, and menthol; they can also irritate your lips. So, switch to another one.
#Eat and Drink Balanced
Eating fluid-rich foods helps a lot to rehydrate the body skin.
- Hydrate Your Skin: Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. It keeps your skin hydrated all day long. The lip skin is very thin. They become dried out in a slight harshness. Taking lots of water goes to the lip advantages.
- Don’t Take Citrus: The acid in citrus fruits can make your lips more cracked and chapped. So, when your lips are dry, don’t eat those fruits.
- Stop Spicy & Salty Foods: Spicy foods are always craving. But, if your lips are dry, you should avoid eating spicy foods because they also contribute to dry lips.
- Eat Fluid-Rich Foods: Eat the vegetables and fruits that contain lots of water and fluids, like watermelon, pineapple, cucumber, etc. It keeps your skin hydrated all times.
- Take Right Vitamins in Right Amount: Your lips may be cracked or chapped for the insufficiency of vitamin A, B, C, B2 and E. Taking sufficient amount of these vitamins ensure dry-free lips.
#Use Home Remedies
Home remedies don’t take any cost to treat chapped lips but give your lips more positive skin. Natural ingredients also make the lips healthy, plump and moisturized.
- Cucumber: This home remedy hydrates and soothes the dry skin. Just cover your lips with a slice of cucumber for 8 minutes. Your lips get healed quickly and feel better. You can do it after returning from outside when your lips need a refreshment and soothing harmony.
- Aloe Vera: If your lips are cracked, or chapped, and for that, you feel much pain; then Aloe Vera is a must treatment. Apply the raw Aloe Vera gel on your dry lips twice a day for 5 minutes. It heals the chapped lips fast.
- Oil: Natural oil is a great moisturizer for the dry lips. It not only moisturizes the lips but also protects and soothes the lips. Use the oils of Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, Cocoa or Shea Butter and Rosehip Oil.
- Honey: Honey has ultra-moisturizing effects. Apply some natural honey on your lips over the night. The lips suck the honey throughout the night. So, the lips will be smooth and mild for a day. I personally use honey on my dry lips in winter.
#Moisten Your Lips
Moisturize your lips with a lip balm, home remedies and setting up a humidifier at your workplaces. If you can keep your lips always moisturized, you can be free from the painful chapped lips throughout the cold season.
- Start with Morning: Moisturize your lips at the beginning of the day with an Aquaphor Moisturizer. It paves the lips to moisturizing all day long.
- Set up A Humidifier: While warm wind in winter harms your lips, moist wind allows your skin moisturized. To keep your air moist around you, set up a humidifier at your house and your workstation too. It makes the air humid that prevents the skin chapping out.
- Use Lip Balm: Lip balm is the most common treatment for dry cracked lips in winter. In buying lip balm, choose the product made with 100% natural ingredients. Apply lip balm whenever you feel a slight dryness on your lips. Dab a touch of lip balm before sleeping. It gets more time to soften the lips completely that will stay throughout the day. If your lips are more chapped, you can use Ceramides Lip Balm. It rebuilds a natural safety on your lips to fight against the odd elements. After every wash of your face, apply Natural Therapeutic Lip Balm because cleansing takes out the oil from the skin. Lip balm fills that.
#Use a Hydrocortisone Cream
If nothing can return your lips in a healthy position, you can use a Hydrocortisone Cream. Use this cream just a week 3 times a day at night before heading to bed. It gets back the lip healthy again.
# Give Up Some of Your Habits
Do you know your some habits also cause dry lips? Such as- licking lips, biting or peeling the lip skin etc.
- Don’t Lick Your Lips: When we feel dryness, we lick our lips to moisten them. But, the true is that licking cannot moisturize the lips, rather the saliva of the tongue evaporates the lip skin that leads to more chapping. So, avoid it and keep a lip balm always with you to apply whenever you feel a slight dryness.
- Avoid Using Products Randomly: The excessive use of products can also harm your lips. Don’t use the lip balm containing artificial scents or dyes. Choose the products that contain natural elements, like beeswax, Shea butter, coconut oil, castor oil, etc.
- Don’t Take Breath From The Mouth: Stop this bad habit as soon as possible. Probably, you breathe from the mouth during sleeping for having a stuffy nose or it can be caused by wearing mouth retainer, guard or another device. If it is not possible to stop mouth breathing, put some lip balm before going to bed.
- Quit Smoking and Chewing: Everything contacting to your lips can affect the lips condition. The chemicals in processed foods, gum or cigarette can cause dry lips. So, avoid them quickly. Read “Allen Carr’s Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”
#Exfoliate Your Lips
Scrubbing dry lips is controversial. Such as- [quote_box_center]WebMD says, “Don’t exfoliate. It can cause further damage to chapped lips. Instead, apply plenty of balm or ointment and turn on the humidifier.”[/quote_box_center]
On the other hand, many skin experts suggest scrubbing dry lips. They say that scrubbing lips remove the dead or dry lip skin cells and exit out the new tone that looks fresh.
My opinion- exfoliating the dry lips with natural ingredients is safe. Mix some brown sugar with some olive oil to get a natural scrub. Rub the lips softly with this mixer with your fingers. It removes the dead cells and exposes the renewed skin.
Don’t use artificial lip scrubs made with salicylic acid, soap-based elements, face wash scrubbing beads or other harsh elements. Don’t use a brush, like exfoliating brush or soft bristle tooth brush. It harshens the lips more. I tried before and it cracked my lips more.
#Check Your Medications and Diseases
Your medications may be the reasons for your chronic dry lips. Such as- the medications used for high blood pressure can lead your lips to dryness or chapping. Consult with your doctor. If he sees that medications are causing your lips dry, he may shift the present medications to another one that won’t create dry lips.
Your lips may be a symptom of some other serious diseases or health conditions, like diabetes, sexually transmitted diseases, Kawasaki disease, and Sjogren’s syndrome. If you think so, go to your doctor soon.
#Lipstick Matters for Dry Lips
Using lipstick is very common. But, how to fix up the lipstick or lip gloss if your lips are chapped or dry? First- don’t use moisturizer based lipstick or matte finish color. The best thing is to not use lipstick if it is not very essential. Remove the lip makeup before going to bed. Apply lip moisturizer before putting lipstick or lip gloss.
Some Extra Tips on How to Take Care of Dry Lips
Besides the above tips, maintain the below stuff for best lip care in winter.
- Using Vaseline Lip Therapy treats dry lips.
- Applying Alba Botanica Petroleum Jelly before sleeping keeps the lips smooth for a day.
- Dab a natural and unflavored lip balm on your lips, and cover the lips with a plastic wrap for 5 minutes. Rinse the lips off and apply the lip balm lightly again.
- Don’t touch your lips very often.
- Lip balm should be 100% natural.
- Try to go outside less and don’t sleep at the opening window.
- Avoid rubbing your dry lips with a harsh abrasive, like a stiff brush or a nail file.
- If you feel irritations, allergies or any other problems with lip balm or any other plant based moisturizers or oils, like castor oil, beeswax, etc. Then switch to another one.
Just follow the above tips of how to take care of dry lips, hope you can enjoy healthier, and smoother lips throughout the cold days. If the above remedies could not treat your dry lips or your lips are chronically chapped, it probably a sign of serious illness. So, have an early talk with your doctor.
Related Essential Tips: