The fall is about to die and the winter is knocking at the door. And we are thinking what should be taken to prevent our skin from the chilliness of winter.
Winter is better to pass the time with exploring. But, difficult to foster the smooth, silky skin. It wants to draw out everything juicy from our skin. Winter likes more the moisture in our skin. And, the most victims of the winter are our lips. They become moisture-less first and starts to dry and chapping.
Read also: What causes dry lips?
Lastly, the lips feel disappointed, cracked, sore, painful or flaky.
All that miseries you can kick out easily if you take some preventive measures before the launch of winter.
How to Prevent Dry Lips – Simple Tips and Quality Products
Take the preventions while the fall starts going out. This early practice can only prevent your dry lips and flame up them throughout the winter.
Okay, let’s see how to prevent dry lips.
Use A Sunscreen
Sunscreen is not only a summer product, it is also an essential part in the winter season. Before 30 minutes of going outside, apply Natural Ice Medicated Lip Balm SPF 15. It protects the lips from cold weather, dry wind, snow atmosphere, sun/wind burn, etc. Coating your lips with a sunscreen is also important when you are in your room or office because the central fireplace keeps the air hot.
Home Remedies to Prevent Chapped Lips
There are some easily available home remedies at your kitchen that are outstanding to prevent dry, sore lips with a regular use. Healthy and supple lips are the bonuses of using home remedies.
- Honey: On cold days, I apply honey on my lips every day before going to bed. The honey enters into the lips deeply and hydrates them well. The day out will be more enjoyable with moisturized and soft lips.
- Almond oil: Almond oil is a hypoallergenic moisturizer infused with Vitamin A & E. This oil fights with free radicals and prevents the lips from chapping or cracking. Leave some almond oil on your lips while you are resting. It hydrates the lips much.
- Cucumber: Leave a cucumber slice on your lips for 4 minutes. It hydrates the lip skin and you feel a great soothing after coming back from the sun, wind, snow or dry air.
See here all home remedies for dry lips prevention.
Lip Scrubbing in Winter
If your lips are dry, don’t exfoliate or scrub your lips with a toothbrush, washcloth, artificial lip scrub, cool wet cloth, etc. Use a DIY lip scrub to prevent chapping.
I personally mingle some brown sugar with some natural honey to scrub my lips. I rub my lips with the fingers softly with this mixer for 3 minutes. It is a nice suit to remove the dead or chapping cells of my lips.
Another easy way I follow to scrub my lips. At night before bed, I apply a natural lip balm thickly on my pout. It softens and hydrates the lips through the night. At morning, after washing my face and taking a toothbrush, I just softly rub the lips with my fingers. It plainly eradicates the dead or dry cells. And, lips look fresh and alive. Lastly, I dab Alba Botanica Coconut Cream Lip Balm.
Take Essential Diets for Skin
Your skin also needs food. Any absence of particular diets affects your skin. All effects you probably notice more on cold days. Feed your skin to be healthy and pretty.
- Vitamins/Irons: The deprivation of vitamin B and iron can cause dryness or scaling on your lips or the corners/edges of your nose. Take the diets having vitamin B and iron in a balanced amount. Or if you don’t manage your diets in a right proportion, you should take multivitamins or mineral supplements according to your doctor prescribes.
- Omega- 3 Fatty acids: The foods rich in omega-3 fats are very preventive for dry lips. Check your health if you are taking the right foods. Or consult with your physician. Some omega- 3 fatty acid foods are flaxseed, salmon, Chia seeds, walnuts, caviar, soybeans, spinach, etc. If you cannot count the right amount, you can take omega-3 fatty acid supplements.
Say Goodbye Some Foods, Smoking, Alcohol or Caffeine
While you have to follow right diets, vitamins or minerals; you also need to avoid some foods to get smooth and dry-free lips during the wintery season.
- Spicy foods: Spicy and hot foods are craving. But, it is not the time to feed your belly as it likes. Winter is a time to feed your skin as it likes; since it is chilly and rough weather to crack your skin beauty. Say goodbye to hot wings, pizza, hot coffee/tea and other alike foods.
- Alcohol items: If you can move without alcohol, why do you need it? Make alcohol your enemy in winter. It prevents the lip from drying and chapping.
- Smoking: It feels great when you smoke. But, it takes a lot of tolls while giving you a seeming pleasant. Quit smoking for overall better health. If you cannot quit smoking, you should read “Allen Carr’s Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”
- Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits may cause more drying on your lips. If it is winter, don’t take grapefruits, orange juice, lemon juice or other citrus items.
Lip Balm, A Great Philosophy for Dry Lips
[pull_quote_center]Nothing is as strong as a lip balm to prevent and cure dry, chapped lips. Stick to a natural lip balm or ointment always.[/pull_quote_center]
My favorite lip moisturizer is Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Lip Balm. I moisturize my lips with it between an hour gap. I don’t give the chance to dry out my lips. This is the secret of my smooth and soft lips in winter.
Don’t buy the balms containing artificial fragrance or scent as the flavor can cause an allergic reaction that is a point to cause cracked lips in winter.
Buy 100% natural balm or ointment with coconut oil, aloe Vera, almond oil, Shea butter, beeswax, milky elements, honey nectar, emu butter, Vitamin E oil, or other natural ingredients.
Sun blocking lip balm can be carried when you are ready to go out or you are passing the time in the central fireplace.
How to use lip balm: Before eating, apply lip balm. And after eating, wash your lips and reapply balm. Before cleansing your face, use lip balm. It prevents the salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide or other harsh/chemicals in the cleanser that can imbalance the pH level to cause chapping lips. Before applying face masks, cold sore medications or other packs; provide a thick balm on your lips. After washing/cleansing your face, reapply the ointment.
Before sleeping, dab your lips with a balm. It hydrates the lips while you are sleeping. Applying lip balm again and again in winter season ensures the prohibition of chapping lips.
Don’t Lick/Bite/Pick/Peel the Lips
It is your appetite to lick, bite, peel or picks the dry skin/cells of the lips. You think, it is hydrating or curing the lips, but not actually. For an example- licking contains a digestive enzyme that breaks down the lip skin. So, your lips go drier or chapped. Keep a balm in your purse or pocket always.
What Lipstick Prevents Dry Lips?
Creamy lipstick is better for winter or cold season. It works both as a lipstick and as a lip balm. Don’t use matte finish color, though nowadays it is more trending. If you love a matte color, before applying it, use an Avon Beyond Color Lip Conditioner.
The dyes of lipstick may cause an allergic reaction to chapped lips. Be sure about the safety of your lip color dyes. The red color lipstick with carmine can irritate your lips. And never, never buy the lipstick with alcohol if it is a cold season or if your lips are cracked prone.
Buy the lipstick, having moisturizing stuff and SPF protection, such as vitamin E, Shea butter, macadamia oil, etc.
Hydrate Your Lips
Never stops hydration. Hydration is the first and the main secret to beautify your skin.
Carry on drinking lots of water in the winter too. Water helps to keep the lips fresh, juicy and vibrant. Besides taking water, you should take lots of fluid items to nourish the skin.
Switch on the humidifier while you are sleeping or staying at home or office. It holds the moisture in the air for your skin.
Beeswax is a nice fighter against the dehydration. Apply some Lip Struck 100% Natural Beeswax Lip Balm on your lips before going out.
Toothpaste also Causes Chapped Lips
When it is winter, don’t use the toothpaste having synthetic elements or flavors, because they may cause allergens to your lips. Lastly, you may notice flaky lips. Squigle Tooth Builder Sensitive is a good toothpaste that has no any harsh, irritating, or allergic ingredients for your lips.
Don’t Breathe from Mouth
If breathing from the mouth is a disease, you should go to a doctor. Or, if it is your habit, practice to avoid it. The air taking and outing from your mouth dries out the lips more. If you don’t stop it, leave some balm on your lips before sleeping.
Wrap A Scarf
Wear a scarf around your face before going to cold weather. It prohibits the direct air to the face and lips.
Yet, if you have experienced dry, chapped or cracked lips; use the ceramide products to reclaim the skin moisture. If nothing could work, immediately you should talk to your doctor.